Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
KillTheCan.org | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Store | LIVE CHAT
Welcome to KillTheCan.org Online Community. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tired and done. Quitting, Day 1.
Topic Started: Jan 10 2017, 12:18 PM (4,018 Views)
Samrs
Member Avatar
SAMRS BE GUD BOI!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey all. I've been chewing for over 30 years, and finally have had enough. I was gearing up for Yet Another attempt at doing it on my own, and not hopeful about being able to do it. Too many years, too much of a habit.

Then my wife sent me a FB message at work, and told me she wanted to help me. I hadn't mentioned it to her; I hadn't said anything... and out of the blue, she came to me, not to complain, not to nag, but to tell me she wanted to be my support and help me quit. She mentioned KTC, and I've spent the morning reading over the site.

She's a fine woman. I don't deserve her, but she's stuck with me, and I want to quit and make sure that she's stuck with me for a long, long, LONG time to come!

So, today is my Day 1. I am not looking forward to it. I struggle with my temper, though I've mellowed with age. Just don't have the energy for it anymore, I guess. But I am afraid of how I might treat my wife and my girls as I struggle through this. It's going to be a point of constant vigilance and prayer for me.

Don't know what else to say aside from that, and to ask y'all for your support. I hope that I can be a support in turn, as well.

"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"I couldn't Quit, but 'we' seem to be able to." -- Dogonhunt

The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group
Please give to Benny's Pennies and help 8 year old Benny beat cancer.
We really do like it when you read the directions.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

canofbeans
Member Avatar
WaxOff Master
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome Samrs! Such a great decision that you have made. You have posted your promise for today so just make sure that you are a man of your word for today only. Wake up tomorrow and do it again, one day at a time. If you need to vent, be sure to bring it to this site on your April quit group forum and let 'em have it...that is what they are there for. Reach out to some fellow quitters via PM and get some phone numbers as someone you can reach out to when you are not online but need extra support.

THE CHRONICAL
THE CULTURE
THE END
HOF FAREWELL (no mod approval req.)

JGlav
Member Avatar
December Disciple
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well Samrs, welcome to the best decision you made in 2017. Freedom like anything isn't of free of charge. Price of admission is posting roll first thing in the AM everyday. We
take it one day, one minute, one second around here. Know this. With your name on roll, you have pledged your promise to remain nic free for the day. Now to help you
with honoring that and staying accountable to your word we get numbers, we email , we chat in our group(April '17) for you. You most certainly bring the rage in here. Your family did not pack your
lip full of cat turds, YOU did. let's keep them out of it. I found water helped me a lot. Went for long walks / runs to keep the rage away from family. I used wintergreen lifesavers and fire ball jaw breaker candy.
I was afraid of the fake stuff but a lot od guys used it and it's ok. You got this. We all started at day one. Proud to quit with you on my 494th day

JGlav

Samrs
Member Avatar
SAMRS BE GUD BOI!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Can, JGlav - thank you so much. Damnit, I'm crying. I want so much to be a different person, and this is a big part of it. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus

cvoll
Member Avatar
Quitter
[ *  * ]
Hang in there and stay involved with this site and quit group. Communicate with your group and develop relationships. That helps with your quit. I'm not going to lie, quitting for me personally was one of the toughest things I've ever done. It's amazing what control nicotine can have over your life. But remember that each day it will get better. My wife also gave me a lot of support and we spoke with our kids about how "dad" was going through a rough spot with quitting chew but would be a better person and the end of it. Try to remember that your kids and wife will get to see how strong of a person you really are by kicking this habit.

Idaho Spuds
Member Avatar
KTC Junkie
[ *  *  * ]
So solid advice from all.
There are a couple pointers I give new folks:
1. Post roll every day
2. get active on KTC, read, message, support, exchange digits, etc.
3. replace your addiction with something positive

there will be sections of your quit that will be very difficult, but they will pass and it will get better. Chew won't fix anything

Idaho Spuds
“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.” -- Anonymous
Yesterday +1
November 2014 Quit Group
My Intro

Thumblewort
Member Avatar
DUCK!!!!!!!
[ *  *  *  * ]
Heya Samrs, if a glutton like me can quit, anyone can. It takes guts and deterination, but follow the program, and read a lot the next few days. This shit will kill ya!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

KingNothing
Member Avatar
Quit Jedi
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Samrs
Jan 10 2017, 01:29 PM
Can, JGlav - thank you so much. Damnit, I'm crying. I want so much to be a different person, and this is a big part of it. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
You won't believe us if we told you how different you will be once you get a grip on this thing. I used to hide from my wife and kids at various times of the day, drive to the store for nothing, go into work to put in some unnecessary overtime, etc. All in the name of feeding my addiction. For the last 551 days, I have put that selfish moron in the past. Each day is one day further from that embarrassing person I had become. Like TW said, it takes guts. You can do this though. It won't always be easy, but it will always be worth it. I choose to no longer poison myself and jeopardize my family's future to bang a can of worm dirt. That is a different person than I was before I started. It's possible, just commit to the process.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18

Rawls
Member Avatar
In Him
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well done posting ROLL Samrs.
Do it early every day.
You have a ton of experience already in your intro feed.
Lean on them.
Accountability is a huge key to being free.
Rawls 785
Just an old sinner, wanting to show another, where he can get a free meal. The Cross
And a 38 year addict, wanting to show another, where he can get a free Quit. KTC
Not what I should be..or could be....but better than what I used to be.

I BELIEVE.......

Intro
HOF 100 Days/100 Words
Some Truth About Nicotine Addiction
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Samrs
Member Avatar
SAMRS BE GUD BOI!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've been going back through the intros from my April group, and noticed that quite a few folks posted periodic updates. I hadn't thought to do that, but wanted to at least drop something in here to let anyone who comes across my into know how I'm doing.

I'll be honest, I was really, really afraid that I wouldn't like Nic-Free Sam.

Turns out, he's actually a pretty cool guy. A whole hell of a lot more fun to hang around with than that idiot Addict Sam.

Day 43, and loving being quit ODAAT.

Jeff W
Member Avatar
Quit Ninja
[ *  *  * ]
Samrs
Feb 21 2017, 03:44 PM
I've been going back through the intros from my April group, and noticed that quite a few folks posted periodic updates. I hadn't thought to do that, but wanted to at least drop something in here to let anyone who comes across my into know how I'm doing.

Turns out, he's actually a pretty cool guy. A whole hell of a lot more fun to hang around with than that idiot Addict Sam.

Hell yeah Sam! Damn proud to quit with you today!
"Those Who Stay Will Be Champions" - Bo Schembechler
"I don't take vacations. I don't get sick. I don't observe major holidays. I'm a jack hammer. " - Jim Harbaugh on taking time off

"Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind" - Jim Harbaugh

My HOF Speech

Ready
Member Avatar
May 2008 ROCKS! TTF
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jeff W
Feb 21 2017, 03:58 PM
Samrs
Feb 21 2017, 03:44 PM

Hell yeah Sam! Damn proud to quit with you today!
Outstanding!!

By the way, it gets way better! I haven't had a crave in years😀😀😀👍
Caving is not an option, Do something else.

Burn your boats!

"This takes commitment, effort, accountibility and to be honest....blood, guts and nuts." - redtrain14

"Hey, snowflake, don't take a seat in the life raft if you are not serious about saving your life." - Scowick65

"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit." - Souliman

Nicotine doesn't give two shits about your strategery, and that's just a fact. Only strategy that works is promise not to use nicotine first thing every morning, keep that promise all day, rinse, repeat. - teamgreen

SuccessThisTime
Member Avatar
Quitter (formerly Cereal Stopper)
[ *  * ]
Awesome Sam. I liked "Nic Free Joel" much more than "Addict Joel", but still relapsed. Didn't have KTC in my life. This time, I'm done! Quitters for life!
STT Intro

Samrs
Member Avatar
SAMRS BE GUD BOI!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
(Posted in July 2017, and preserved here because unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to reference this again and again and again...)

In general, I am a fuzzy care bear. I love supporting people. This site is awesome, the quitters here are awesome, and I don't mind being on the phone talking or texting or swapping PMs with someone going through their quit. I'll sit there and listen to you rage at me, or tell me about your job or your kids or significant other. I'll do my best to encourage you, psych you up, pick you up, get you back on your feet and dust you off if that's what you need! Whatever it takes for you to get through the day and stay away from a can... so long as you

WUPP, EDD.
That's the minimum. One day. One post. One promise.

This is the the price of admission.
That's the price that you pay to get dozens of quitters in your corner, ready to help you at a moment's notice. It's not too steep, I don't think. Less than 60 seconds at the start of your day.

If you can't post roll, post and ask for a pickup. If you can't get on the site, text someone and ask for a pickup.

First thing in the morning, every damn day.

If quitting isn't worth 60 seconds of your time, brother... why are you even here?

If quitting isn't worth 60 seconds of your time, brother... why should I even care?

Samrs
Member Avatar
SAMRS BE GUD BOI!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
(Another one from July 2017, among other places. I hope to expand on and refine this as time goes by...)

DON'T BE THIS GUY:

That's just a selection from some of the caver answers I've seen in the past couple of months. That's not even close to all of them. I'd estimate that alcohol is involved in at least half of the caves that get related here on KTC. That's not counting the ones that cave, quit posting and just fade away.

The quickest and fastest way to kill your quit in the first couple of months is to drink (especially with other people who chew/smoke).

So, just... don't. Don't be that guy. If you are serious about your quit, giving up alcohol for a little while is a really small price to pay in order to ensure you stay quit.
Edited by Samrs, Jun 16 2017, 11:24 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Introductions · Next Topic »
Add Reply